[Advaita-l] Brahmasutra shaNkarabhAshyam

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:09:35 CDT 2004

Swami Sivananda's translation is quite good. The problem is that his
style of English makes it a difficult read.

I suggest buying Swami Gambhiranandas translation instead. It's not
available on the web. But it's a paltry sum, at least if you buy it in
India, only about Rs 200 or so. The Sanskrit original is available
from many sources including Motilal. I use the Vani Vilas edition
published by Samata books. The font size is bigger and easier on the
eyes. I have found the Swamijis translation to be very good for all
the sutras I have read so far. His translation of the 8 principal
upanishads is also quite outstanding.

Swami Satchidanandendra Saraswati has produced a very good translation
of the first four suutras along with the original and a lucid
commentary on the bhaa.sya. If anyone's interested, I can dig up the
details of this book.

Rama