[Advaita-l] Re: Tantra

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 12:46:20 CST 2004

Venkatesh wrote:

>In today's competitive world, would it be OK to renounce the desire for
>fruit of our actions? Would it not be better to try whole-heartedly for
>success and then dedicate the outcome(whether success or failure) to the
>Almighty?

Translating the idea behind nishkAmya karma as "renouncing" is misleading.
Detachment towards the fruit of the action does not mean that the action is
to be performed indifferently. Knowing beforehand that we cannot control
success or failure does not mean that we should not try for success. Rather,
the idea is that the action is to be performed with all one's ability,
dedicating the outcome, irrespective of what it is, to God. Only, the desire
that the fruit of the action should accrue to our private benefit should be
given up.

Vidyasankar