[Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 24

venkat ramanan krishnan krish_venks at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:33:15 CST 2004

Namaste,

Thank you, Sri Sanjay, for your elaborate mail. I must confess though that
my doubt still remains. I have a few more now after your mail.

1)The brahmaloka doesn't really exist, does it? Its only our Maya which
makes us think of all that. Neither do the deities(starting from Vishnu and
downwards) (as soon as a person has the knowledge that there is no duality )

2)That being the case, can we say that Bhakti is more like a psychological
effect on the soul? with no actual changes taking place anywhere. Favour of
deities, boons and demons can be metaphoraically compared to a person who
thinks something is wrong with him, conjures up a doctor mentally, thinks he
is being cured by the doctor(a deity if the doctor gives a sweet medicine, a
demon if the doctor gives him a sour medicine, but both for his own good),
and finally realizing that there was nothing wrong in him, that there was no
doctor, that everything was a hallucination(maya)
  Or, can we say that the soul starts from the point of veneration of some
deities which possess some ideals (that the soul thinks is not in itself),
and then proceeds to higher ideals(deities) till finally reaching a point of
saturation, where it has everything and realizes that there is nothing more,
and that it had everything in it all along.( knowledge, truth and infinity).
All this is essentially psychological for the soul, since the soul has been
in that state(brahman) all along and only doesnt think so.

3)If so, my question as to wether great Acharyas like Shankara, Padmapada
etc followed bhakti only as an example for the masses to follow, and not for
themselves still remains?
( Since, knowledge (of the soul's nonduality) itself is mukti, they should
have already realized identity with Brahman. And if they have realized
Brahman, there is no further question of action(bhakti, in this case). )

Finally, what is meant by pralaya? How does Advaita explain the creation and
destruction of the universe philosophically?  Why does the Brahman delude
itself into thinking that it is many, time and again, and that its many
parts are imperfect each trying for perfection ?

If all these are points which have discussed previously in this list, please
do let me know.

regards
venkat

regards