[Advaita-l] Dharma

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Tue Dec 7 23:33:05 CST 2004

namaste,

I do not have the time at this point to take part in this discussion in
great depth, but it was my understanding that:

a) jnAnis do not necessarily "meditate", meditation is also considered an
action (However, I guess sanyAsis do meditate as part of nidhidhyAsana?).
However they do go through the normal day-to-day activities related to the
mere sustenance of the body.

b) vyAsa, though he is held in the highest esteem, is considered to be a
gR^hastha, not a sanyAsi. He did have a wife, vAtikA, and a son through her,
Suka, at the time of the mahAbhArata.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam