[Advaita-l] Dharma

Kiran B.R. kiran.br at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 00:53:27 CST 2004

> > > The ultimate goal of karma is to transcend the need for karma.
> > > Thus a sannyasi who is shrotriya and brahmanishta is the highest role
> > > model for the karmayogi as well.
> >
> > Wrong conclusion.

> So you say.  Can you back it up?

(1)
anAshritaH karmaphalaM kAryaM karma karOti yaH |
sa saMnyAsI cha yOgI cha na niragnirna chAkriyaH ||
(2)
na mE pArthAsti kartavyaM triShu lOkEShu kiMchana |
nAnavAptamavAptavyaM varta Eva cha karmaNi ||
(3)
yadyadAcharati shrEShTastattadEvEtarO janaH |
sa yatpramANaM kurutE lOkastadanuvartatE ||
(4)
na mAM karmANi liMpaMti na mE karmaphalE spRuhA |
iti mAM yO&bhijAnAti karmabhirna sa badhyatE ||
(5)
naiva tasya kRutEnArthO nAkRutEnEha kaSchana |
na chAsya sarvabhUtEShu kaSchidarthavyapAshrayaH ||
(..........)

> > The true karmayOgi cannot be distinguished from the
> > true sannyAsi. When you see karma in the akarma of the sannyAsi and
> > akarma in the karma of the karmayOgi,
>
> This doesn't even make any sense.

When this does:

karmaNyakarma yaH paSyEdakarmaNi cha karma yaH |
sa buddhimAn manuShyEShu sa yuktaH kRutsnakarmakRut ||,

that will.

> > The worst thing that has ever happened to our country is this wrong
> > conclusion above. It has made us worship the lazy, the weak, the
> > unclean, the industryless. Never, never was this taught by the Wise.
> > It was only learnt by the unwise.
>
> Again, this makes for a nice speech but it is not borne out by any kind of
> historical fact.  Apply some industry to your study of Vedanta and you'll
> see I'm right.

This is not a historical fact which happened on a particular day and
captured on TV. It's right before your eyes in India. the laziness,
the weakness, the lack of cleanliness and industry when it comes to
anything this-worldy is a basic trait of our country.

And thanks, I'm done with applying industry to Vedanta. It's time you
start applying Vedanta to industry.

Cheers
Kiran