[Advaita-l] shiva pUjA

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram ravi at ambaa.org
Wed Aug 11 17:06:25 CDT 2004

>  Guidance to Shiva worhsip are greatly appreciated.

a) shivAnandalaharI is one of the beautiful devotional works on Lord shiva.
Please see the following for some links.
http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m14002.html.  There is wonderful
musical rendering of this by Balamurali Krishna. It is simply amazing to
hear the emotion and perfection in this recording.

b) If you know Tamil, you can also read works by nAyanmArs and others.
There are tamil works, which are available in English translation such as
periya puraNam, thiruviLaiyADal purANam. They  are considered as valuable
aids to a devotee. You can listen to classical rendering of some of the
devaram songs at http://gallery.shaivam.org/audio/neyveli.htm. In general
shaivam.org has tons of information on this subject.

c) If you search our archives, you will find some nice posts on panchAyatana
pUja by Sri Ramakrishnan Balasubramaniam. As he points out in one of those
messages, typically shiva is invoked as somaskanda parameshvara (with umA
and skanda).  Rama also wrote an article on shiva panchAyatana pUja.
Typically most pUja vidhAnams will include at least one type panchAyatana
pUja. You can get procedural details from there. In my view, taking up any
formal pUja is a commitment and it is better to consult the elders in your
family before embarking on it.

shivAbhyAnnamaH