[Advaita-l] Re: self knowledge

Sanskrit Beginner sanskrit_beginner at unlimitedmail.org
Wed Aug 11 00:23:55 CDT 2004

namo namah:
(general prefix - I have done some random readings only, and am
trying to systematize it, and am engagin in discussion for that
only - thanks for your patience)
 I get the feeling for this series of posts that "ahamkAra" is
a bad thing. I am not sure it is all that bad. I mean, what if
can literally take ahamkAra as "I, the Doer" ?
 If one cannot tell one self that "I am the doer" then there is
no sense of belonging, or "being" right? I mean, "I" have to
know that "I" have a meaning to myself. The easiest way to
assert it to myself, is to say "I do this" - what "I" actually
"do" probably is a different issue right? I could do something,
or say I exert some effort, for the purpose of liberation,
meaning daily prayers to cleanse the mind. And in that case, "I
am the doer" is not such a bad thing right?
 For example, the BG does say "you have right to do the action,
not for the result" - if I cannot tell myself that "I do", or I
am the doer, then BG would become meaningless. For Krishna
could have just said "don't even think you are doing it" - he
said, "do it, but know that the results are Mine" right?
 So, I don't think ahamkAra is such a bad thing.

My 2cents worth.
DhanyavAdah:

> Of the four components that make antaHkaraNa, it is the
ahaMkAra  or "the
> sense of agency" that mixes up Atman and anAtman. This
ahaMkAra is avidya.
> manas, buddhi, and chitta are jaDa. But the words manas etc.
are often used
> interchangeably to denote all of antaHkaraNa.
>
> Typically, the answer to the question "who is bound" is given
as "whoever is
> asking this question." One thing I found in advaita-vedAnta
is, if try to go
> quite deep into this matter you will have to always confront the
> "anirvachaniiya" aspect of avidya. How the ahaMkAra started
mixing up Atman
> with anAtman  will point only to anAdi avidya, which is
anirvachaniiya.

> My 2c.
>
> Ravi

alone. It
> > is not there at all and this so called ahamkara runs away once
> > you start enquiry or vichara and what remains is chaitanyam
alone
> > witout  even pramatha [knower]. FROM Sakshi’s standpoint, which
> > you seem to raise there is neither budhi nor avidya in
which case
> > there is no gnanam also as all these a
> > re mitya. This is beautifully said in nirvana astakam.
> > I hope I have explained your doubt.
> >
> > Dr S.GANESH

> > Need assistance? Contact:
> > listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org