[Advaita-l] Remembering the Guru

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Apr 22 12:31:12 CDT 2004

  We ought not to forget the most ordinary help which another may render
to us.  Ungratefulness is a very great sin.  The Shastras declare that
there is no expiation for the sin of ingratitude.  While so, what shall we
say of one who forgets the Guru who teaches him all Dharma and imparts to
him the knowledge leading to moksha?  It can be decidedly asserted that
there is no sin equal to it.  It is to obviate such a sin attaching itself
to the people of this land that His Holiness the late Jagadguru of
Shrngeri[1] revived the village of Kaladi, the birthplace of the great
Master Shankaracharya, and consecrated therein an image of His.  When the Lord
Himself with abundant grace came down in our midst in the shape of our
Master and gave us in person the knowledge of Dharma, can we ever afford
to forget Him?

-- H.H. Swami Chandrashekhar Bharati Jagadguru Shankaracharya of Shrngeri.
from a collection of his discourses collected and translated into English
by R. Krishnaswami Aiyar under the title "Voice of Jagadguru", Shringeri
Math, 1997

[1] Swami Abhinava Nrsimha Bharati