[Advaita-l] Re: Importance of Peethams

Raghavendra N Kalyan kalyan7429 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 16:14:10 CDT 2004

Namaste,

Though SrI Jaldhar's reply on this topic was not intended for me, I am taking the liberty to post my thoughts here.

>Why do you assume "rational debate and discussion" or "self->realization"
>are opposed to "ritualistic religion"? What do those terms mean >anyway?

Is that an assumption? Self-realization is indeed quite different from rituals. It does not depend on whether or not a ritual is performed. One may perform 100 rituals and still remain in ignorance. Moreover, while rituals need wealth etc. to be performed, brahma-jnAna cannot be obtained by wealth. Rituals need birth/caste based qualifications. Not so for brahma-jnAna. Initiation rites are required for the performer of rituals. Not so for brahma-jnAna. The list is quite long.

> >I wish to be excused for raising this question. Are the peethams >>serving
> >any purpose?

>Obviously they are as nothing continues to exist without a purpose.

I am curious to know what is obvious about it.

>But I
>take it this purpose doesn't seem clear to you?

Atleast, it does not seem clear to me. So, can you please explain? And may be, a few words on how the maTha-s are serving their purpose would be useful. Thanks.

Regards
Raghavendra