[Advaita-l] RE: Brahma Sutra-supreme brahman

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:23:44 CDT 2004

>The tamil translation  (by Kadalangudi Natesha shaastrigal) I have
>translates it as "all pervading" paramam padam.

That seems like the best explanation of the term. It is very common to refer
to the state of moksha as "viShNoH paramam padam". The word viShNu here need
not be taken as a reference to viShNu with form. Rather, it refers to the
upaniShadic statements that having created the universe, brahman enters it.
The verb root "viS" means to enter, and therefore Brahman is called viShNu.
However, although Brahman enters the universe, as it were, it remains apart
and unaffected. The term "param padam" draws our attention to this.

Vidyasankar