[Advaita-l] Brahma Sutra-supreme brahman

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 18:46:19 CST 2004

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Ramesh Badisa wrote:
>
> > My question is why the highest place here is referred as place of
> Vishnu,
>

> This is not some invention by Swami Shivananda.  Shankaracharya does
> indeed call moksha ViShnoh param padam and Swami Shivananda has
> accurately
> translated it as "the highest place of Vishnu"
>
> Why describe Brahman with this particular formulation?

Jaldhar, there is no doubt that the "highest place of VishhNu" can be
taken as the place of Ishvara, etc. But the question was:

---
"The Sutra declares that at the dissolution of Brahmaloka the souls,
which by that time have attained knowledge, along with the Saguna
Brahman attain what is *** higher than the Saguna Brahman, i.e., para
Brahman or the pure highest place of Visnu ***"
...But how come, Sri AdiShankaracharya mentioned supreme brahman in the
form of Vishnu in IV.3.10 commentry, which is a Saguna form of Brahman?
---

I find it extremely strange that Shankara would choose the term
"VishhNu" to refer to the nirguNa Brahman when specifically
DIFFERENTIATING it from saguNa Brahman! I think the question asked is
very valid and still unanswered.

-Kartik

PS: In your own reply, you've repeatedly spoken of "VishhNu Bhagavan" -
NOT nirguNa Brahman.