[Advaita-l] DATE FOR SRI RAMA NAVAMI

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Apr 1 15:18:12 CST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Ajit Krishnan wrote:

> There are two general schools of thought regarding the celebration of tithi
> based festivals. Some choose the vedic day when a particular tithi occurs at
> the time of observance, while others choose the vedic day when the tithi
> occurs at sunrise. I have been taught to use the tithi at the time of
> observance.
>
> Based on my limited observations, smarthas seem to prefer the tithi at the
> time of observance, while dvaitin-vaishnavas seem to prefer the tithi at the
> time of sunrise.

Is a matter of sampradaya and not say a regional difference?  Because the
Gujarati mandirs around here all chose the 30th regardless of affiliation.
True, some of them might not have known the niceties of panchang
calculation but others have knowlegable Pujaris who I would expect to know
such things.