[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 5, Issue 9 (3. Authorship issues - 2.)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 16:41:56 CDT 2003

>1) I think the hacker - Mayeda criterion has been discussed in a compact
>fashion in K.C Pande's book on Shankara ( I think it is a Motilal
>Banarsidass publication). Also this did come up as a matter for discussion

I guess you mean the book called Sankaracharya, by G. C. (Govind Chandra)
Pande, who has discussed this authorship issue. He has indeed described the
results of Hacker's and Mayeda's researches. The author is affiliated with
the Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Simla.

>in a book in Malayalam by V. Panoli which was publshed by the "Mathrubhumi
>Publishing House". My opinion is the former is much more worthwhile. I have
>also read that the Vivekachudamani was given a standing of authenticity
>only
>bcos of Ramana 's acceptance. Thanks for the other names  who are in this
>field of research. I thought the brihadaranyaka Bhashya too was accepted as
>authentic.

Re: vivekacUDAmaNi, the text has been well accepted within the tradition for
a few centuries. Ramana Maharishi's acceptance of the book may have exposed
a few Western scholars to the text, but I doubt if that had any influence on
the text-critical studies of Hacker and others. As it is, Hacker is inclined
to take the text as authentic primarily because its manuscripts give the
author's name as Sankara bhagavatpAda, not just as SankarAcArya.

>within
> > the advaita tradition, which points to its probably having been written
>by
> > different author. The oldest available manuscripts of the yogasUtra
>bhAshya
> > vivaraNa are in Malayalam script. It is said that there was another
>Sankara
> > bhagavatpAda from a Kerala nambUdiri family in the 14th century or so,
>who
> > may have been the author of this text.
>
>2) Can you give me the source of the above mentioned malayalam work or what
>publisher has brought out the same?

I must clarify that the yogasUtrabhAShya vivaraNa is not in the Malayalam
language. It is in Sanskrit, but the oldest available manuscripts seem to be
written in Malayalam script, with a typically Malayali-fied spelling of
Sanskrit words, e.g. substition of the letter l for t (malsya for matsya,
SrIvalsa for SrIvatsa etc). The yogasUtrabhAshya vivaraNa was first
published in the 1950s, from the Government Oriental Manuscripts Library,
Madras. There is a young Japanese scholar, called Kengo Harimoto, who is
also re-editing this text using additional primary manuscripts. He works at
Hamburg, after doing a doctoral program at Pennsylvania, USA, under Prof.
Wilhelm Halbfass.

>3) Is there any known opinion from the traditional mathas such as Sringeri
>on the matter of authorship? Or kanchi for that matter?

As Jaldhar pointed out, the Srirangam Vani Vilas volumes may give an
indication, but it should be remembered that quite a few of the works
published in that series came from manuscripts obtained from sources outside
Sringeri. One could, for example, take a "holier-than-the-Pope" attitude and
consider only the texts whose manuscripts came from Sringeri as having been
continuously studied in the tradition. Anyway, one should note that this
series does not include commentaries on kaushItakI and SvetASvatara
upanishads, although both are "principal" upanishads and manuscripts exist
of commentaries on them, attributed to Sankara.

Re: yogasUtrabhAshya vivaraNa, I may recount a personal conversation with
Swami Bharati Tirtha, the Sringeri Sankaracarya. He agreed that as this
vivaraNa has not generally been known within the advaita tradition, it is
quite likely that it is by a different author. Most academic scholars are
also inclined to believe that this vivaraNa is not by the Sankara of the
advaita vedAnta school. Nevertheless, Kengo Harimoto, the young academic
researcher I mentioned above, has informed me that he finds numerous
similarities in thought and expression between this vivaraNa and the
brahmasUtra bhAshya. If he succeeds in publishing his findings vigorously
and in convincing other researchers of them, then we might see a curious
case of academic scholarship considering a text as genuine although its
status within the tradition may be shaky!

Vidyasankar