[Advaita-l] Re: Transliteration

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:34:42 CDT 2003

I thought of the intended audience of the Advaita webpage and this list
quite a lot before going for the adopted transliteration scheme. I have
faced questions from my own family members as to why I should spell
"SankarAcArya", "kRshNa" etc. I have decided to stick with the existing
format for a few strong reasons. Primarily, this is that I envisage an
educational intent for the Advaita home page. Part of educating readers
about the philosophy and tradition involves conveying a flavor of the proper
pronunciation of the Sanskrit words that unavoidably have to be used. At the
very least, it will prompt readers to question whether the modern
American-inspired pronunciations (thanks to Hollywood) of words like karma
and dharma is correct!

As far as the list is concerned, the readership spans a large spectrum, from
those with minimal knowledge of Sanskrit to those with an ability to read
and understand Sanskrit texts directly. When a discussion proceeds between
two people from the latter group, things often get too technical and heavy,
but that is part of the purpose of this list. I would only request those who
do not know or are uncomfortable with too much Sanskrit to be patient and
try to observe the terms that get used often and the context of the English
sentence in which they occur. It is not impossible to make meaning out of it
after a while. For my part, I always try to put a translation within
parentheses or immediately after a quotation, and will be glad to provide
meanings if I miss something and am asked for it.

I am going to add a pronunciation key to the page on the transliteration
scheme. It would be a good idea to add a glossary page to the site too, and
I'd appreciate inputs from everybody on the list.

Vidyasankar