[Advaita-l] "The Problem of Evil"

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Oct 31 08:18:45 CST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Tahir Nazir wrote:

> What about the volcano eruption that floods villages with lava and kills
> thousands of people. Is that vasanaas determined of the villagers killed?

Klesha (troubles) is of three kinds adhibhautika (of the body), adhyatmika
(of the self) and adhidaivika (of fate or nature whatever you want to call
it.)  IMO your vasanas cover the first two but not the third which is
caused by the conflict with the vasanas of others.  (i.e. it is the vasana
of the volcano to erupt.)  But then again it is by our prior good deeds
that we have developed ways to detect volcanic activities so that only a
few or no people die in such eruptions nowadays.