[Advaita-l] Happy Diwali and Sal Mubarak!

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Oct 26 10:25:43 CST 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Shambhu Shastry wrote:

> You noted the Vikrama era's new year name as manmatha (29th in the list
> of 60). Per tradition in down south (karnAtaka, kErala, tamilnAdu,
> AnDhra), samvatsara begins on chaitra shukla praThama, and this
> tradition notes the current year name as suBhAnu (17th in the list of
> 60). I was aware of the two traditions with different points (chaitra
> shukla praThama and kArtika shukla praThama) as the New Year Day in the
> annual cycle, but did not know that the samvatsara names too differ.

Yes the Vikrama Samvata also uses the same 60 year cycle of year names
though it starts from a different point hence the 12 year discrepancy.

In Gujarat, the calendar you described is associated with Shalivahana
Shaka era.  It is SS 1925, and the name is indeed subhanu. We don't use
this calendar very much though.