[Advaita-l] What does "Hare Krishna" Mean?

Raghavendra Hebbalalu hs_raghavendra at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 16:20:22 CDT 2003

namassarvebhyaH,

Let me draw the attention of the list members to the
following popular shloka that comes at the end of the
viShNusahasranAma pArAyaNa.

ArtA viShaNNaH shitilAshcha bhItAH ghoreShu cha
vyAdhiShu vartamAnAH |
sankIrtya nArAyaNashabdamAtram vimuktaduHkhAH sukhino
bhavanti ||

A rough gist is as follows: Whenever those in penury
or in fear or in great disease sing or chant *only*
the name of nArAyaNa, then they will be free from all
sorrows and be happy.

Please note that the key words here are sankIrtya
(which means having chanted) and nArAyaNashabdamAtram
- only the the word nArAyaNa.

The story of ajAmiLa in the bhAgavata wherein ajAmiLa,
having led an extremely sinful life, calls out to his
son nArAyaNa during his time of death, illustrates the
efficacy of nAmasankIrtana. But at that time, the
dUtAs of shrImannArAyaNa appear to ward away the
yamadUtas. The dialog between the two can be studied.

This story illustrates the importance of name
chanting. It can be construed as arthavAda also.

Even in the lalitAsahasranAma, one name is
nAmapArAyaNAprItA - the one who is appeased by the
chanting of names.

There are also numerous shlokas that illustrate the
efficacy of the name 'mahAdeva' or 'shiva'.

In the navavidhabhaktimArga, the second one is
kIrtanam or chanting the names of the Lord.

One illustration commonly given by the votaries of
nAmasankIrtana is as follows. "Even as fire burns one
who touches it knowingly or unknowingly, just as
medicine has a beneficial effect on a diseased person,
irrespective of the person knowing about the chemical
composition of the medicine, taking the name of the
Lord knowingly or unknowingly is definitely
beneficial".

IMHO, the idea is that if one makes the habit of
repeating the Lord's names, at one point or the other
in their lives, they realise the greatness of it and
thus become closer to God.

While jnAna is the sole path to mukti, nAmasankIrtana
is a very good method for chittashuddhi. If one
understands the meaning behind the names and recites
them, it is all the better for that person. If not,
however, it will lead to a stage conducive to
chitta-shuddhi.

However, this does not mean that one has to forget
one's duties like sandhyAvandana and devatArchana and
resort only to nAmajapa.

My 2c.

Best regards,
-rAghavendra