[Advaita-l] adhyAsa as the cause of evil

S Venkatraman svenkat52 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 20:06:10 CST 2003

In my humble opinion, in the causal chain, Adhyasa should come in between Kama and Avidya.

Kama happens because of Adhyasa, taking the unreal as real. And Adhyasa happens because of Avidya.

pranAms,
Venkat.
S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:
--- Raghavendra N Kalyan wrote:
> Namaste
>
> I remember reading in AchArya's BSB that adhyAsa
> (superimposition of the self and non-self) is the
> cause of all evil. That sounds perfectly reasonable to
> me. May I know what members think.

AFAIK, adhyAsa is not the root cause of evil.

The words "good" and "evil" are used in relation to action (Karma)
alone. In advaita, karma is a product of kAma (desire), which in turn
is a product of avidyA. (avidyA --> kAma --> karma)

-Kartik

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org