[Advaita-l] AdhyArOpa-apavAda

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Wed May 28 11:30:50 CDT 2003

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2003 11:54 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas Wrote
>
> Advaita Vedanta for instance thinks that adhyaropa-apavada is superior for
> the knowledge of Brahman.  However Upakrama etc. are used when
> appropriate.

I know that Advaita vEdanta thinks that it is superior to samanvaya.
I would like to know why it considers samanvaya as inadequate,
what could be the possible reasons?.

> > Where in prasthAna-traya do we hear about adhyArOpa-apavAda?
> > How do we use it?   What are its steps?.
> >

> There are discusiions of this in the Brahmasuta and upanishadbhashyas but

Are you saying it is not found in the prasthAna-traya itself,  but is found only in
their commentories?

If I have a strong working tool-A in understanding Veda,  and if I am asked
to switch to tool-B,   don't I have to know why my tool-A is inadequate
before switching?

That is why I would like to know why the method of 'samanvaya' that is found in
the sootra and also found in shruti,  was found to be inadequate by the thinkers of
Advaita vEdaanta.