FW: Re: [Advaita-l] Locus of avidyaa

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Tue May 27 14:48:37 CDT 2003

The original question still remains. Why did the post-Sankaran subschools:
bhaamAti and vivaraNa schools look for the locus of avidyA? Why did they
have to get into this mess, instead of using shankara's original approach?
For some details about these schools, please see:

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/bhavir.html

The problem is when you go to debates with opposing schools, you may not
have a choice to do otherwise; because it is not the goal of the debate to
attain liberation.  This I see as one of the possibles reasons.

For a student who has shraddha, it is enough to say do not worry about the
logical status of avidyaa it will not really matter at the end. Because, he
is interested only in liberation. And the key is shraddha.

------
It is neither non-vedantic nor unphilosophical to ask an advaitin about the
locus of avidyaa.
It is a perfectly valid question.

Philosophy is literally love for knowledge. One of the steps in learning is
to understand what is wrong and incorrect, and the source of error.  You
cannot overcome a weakness without understanding it.

Also, it is certainly within the scope of vedanta, not only because other
schools of vedanta such as vishishhTaadvaita and dvaita ask this question
and criticize us, but also because teachers in our own tradition have
attempted to answer it.
--

Comments and corrections are welcome.

Ravi