vishNu purANa - English translation

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 6 13:13:13 CDT 2003

>AT the link given below, there is a review on Wilson's
>translation of Vishnu Puran. This review says the
>translation is 'bad'. Would some of you who have read
>the translation comment. Is the translation worth
>reading ?

Any translation, however good or bad, is worth reading, so long as one
keeps a critical outlook. It helps to go through two or three different
translations simultaneously, so that we can judge for ourselves. It also
helps to read the translations along with the original, with the help of
someone who knows the original language.

That said, if you visit http://www.encyclopediaofauthentichinduism.org, and
read details about the author, you will find good reason to also be wary of
the criticisms and interpretations that he offers. This does not mean that
Wilson's translation is flawless ...

Vidyasankar