Dasa Avatars(In response to Shri B. Shankar)

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 1 21:18:45 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

>Hope u get the point. And also note that knowledge springs from avidya.

He who worships avidya goes to andhaM tamas. - I.U

Saying that knowledge springs from avidya would be equivalent to saying that
light can come out of darkness. Are you ready to say that?

Read Sri Adi Shankara's commentary on mANDUkya upanishad. In the seventh
verse - sa AtmA sa vijyeyah.

The Atman must be known by carefully removing the illusions like the snake
in a rope. Knowledge involves removal of obstructions. Once that is done,
the Atman is self-revealing. An idea that knowledge can spring from avidya
is similar to the buddhist idea.(wonder who is the neo-vedantin here.)

If advaita is to be properly understood, then it is necessary to read the
commentaries of Sri Adi Shankara on the upanishads, for all other ideas are
ultimately based on them. Otherwise you would be going against vedanta
without your knowledge. Like I said, if you read AchArya Gaudapda's karikas,
you will find some statements which are not in tune with vedanta.

><WINK> God help u. Dont try to make Shri Sankara's teachings as compatible
>to neo-vedanta. And all the upanishads which u vedantins hold in awe is
>part
>of Vedas (Avidya for u). Take it or leave it.

Dont assume things. Take it or leave it.

As for the vedic rituals being avidya, read Sri Adi Shankara's commentary on
the upanishads.(unlike you, I dont imagine things.) As for the upanishads
being part of vedas, they are treated as jnAna kanda.

Best Regards
Kalyan