Dvaita and Sophistry - Part 3(Inherent natures of jivas)

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 19 11:56:30 CST 2003

Namaskaaram,

>RV 6.47.18 and other places.  These are cited in one of B.N.K. Sharma's
>books.

Book details please.

> > How do you know it is eternally constant?
>
>Because the embodied, i.e., the jIva, has been described as `avyaya'
>elsewhere, which means precisely that.

One can understand that avyaya means that soul has no death or decay.
But how does avyaya mean that the soul has a nature and that is  eternally
constant?

>In verse 3, where in connection with `adhaM tamas', the usage is
>`abhigachchhanti' ([they] go for good), rather than just `gachchhanti'
>([they] go).

*abhigachchhanti* is more an indication of reaching or falling or entering
rather than an indication of going for good without coming back.

>([they] go).  The very phrase `andhaM tamaH' also signifies unremitting
>darkness.

It does not necessarily signify that. Nor does it mean that the darkness is
eternal.

>knowledge leading to unending liberation, they care little about the joys
>or suffering of the heaven and hell from which one can return.  When an
>Upanishad warns of unremitting darkness, it is warning of something far
>worse only.

Not necessary again. The darkness could last for a very long period of time
and thus is very bad. No evidence that the darkness is eternal.

>However, if one grants, as the Upanishad itself indicates, that there can
>also be degrees of suffering in damnation (as there are degrees of
>enjoyment in liberation), then there is no issue.

That could as well be termed as speculation. It would be illogical to say
that people who have right knowledge go into a darkness greater than people
with wrong knowledge. Besides if vidya or avidya alone provde very bad
results, how can their combination produce liberation?

Best Regards
Kalyan