Vishnu and Shiva

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 11 16:38:51 CST 2003

Namaskaaram,

>The reason I gave the various quotes of Shankara on
>several PurANaas was because of your statement
>"Shankara uses the Vishnu Purana" [sic]. Iskconites
>use this kind of half-baked knowledge to portray
>Shankara as a Vaishnava!

The vishnu purana example has been used to ONLY show that I have not quoted
anything from it. Let Iskconites do whatever they want. I am least bothered
about them.

>Please see the shvetaashvatara upanishhad:
>3.2 Rudra is truly one; for the knowers of Brahman do
>not admit the existence of a second, He alone rules
>all the worlds by His powers. He dwells as the inner
>Self of every living being...

I find lot of similarity with the praajna of the Mandukya Upanishad, but no
similarity with the Turiya. But let me deal first with the more important
argument of yours.

>Firstly, there is no contradiction in saying that
>rudra gained his strength from himself.

1.Such a conclusion being obvious would waste the scriptural statement.
There is no need to look at the scriptures to know the obvious.
2.There is no gaining or losing of anything for brahman.