Vishnu and Shiva

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Mar 11 13:03:40 CST 2003

namaste Sri Rolando,

>Prostration be to Thee, O Lord, ***Ruler of the
>universe,*** Great God Three-Eyed One, Destroyer of
>the Tripuras, Death to the destructive Fire of the
>three worlds at the end of Time, Terror to even to the
>terrible Fire of Time, blue-necked one, Overcomer of
>mortality, ***Overlord over everyone,*** Bestower of
>Blessedness, Ever-Auspicious, the Blessed Great God -
>to Thee prostration.

This must be "namaste astu bhagavan vishveshvaraya...". I remember someone
telling me that this part that we usually chant is not really part of the
Sri Rudram. It is part of the "chanting tradition" or something like that.
Of course, I could be mistaken. Can other list members clarify this point?
And also, the other quotes from the Sri Rudram are certainly still valid.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam