Vishnu and Shiva

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 11 11:29:58 CST 2003

Namaskaar,

In future I may or may not have time to write so many replies. So I am doing
it right now.

>May that Divine Physician, ***First among gods,***
Either Brahman can be treated as a God or not. If the former, then saying
that Rudra has derived his power from Vishnu is a contradiction. If the
latter, then Brahman is That which is not understood even by the Gods.

>Prostration be to Thee, O Lord, ***Ruler of the
>universe,***

Either the Narayana within Him is being praised. Or, Shiva is identified
with the Praajna quarter of the Mandukya Upanishad. In either case, there is
Narayana or Turiya  which is nirguNa Brahman which is called as the Atman
and thus refers to Narayana.

>mortality, ***Overlord over everyone,*** Bestower of
>Blessedness, Ever-Auspicious,

1.Turiya being auspicious does not eliminate other things from being
auspicious. Thus rudra can also be auspicious.
2.The over lordship can be interpreted as Praajna of the Mandukya Upanishad
and not Turiya.
3. Again talks of blessedness can be interpreted as praajna which is called
as anandamaya and not Turiya.

All this is necessary, otherwise, Rudra cannot derive His power from Vishnu
which means there is a contradiction with the Rig Veda.

>Prostration to the Primeval One and the ***Chief of
>beings;***

Again Praajna and not Turiya.

>***and
>is more auspicious than anything else.***

Which in itself shows an indication of duality and Turiya can be safely
eliminated.

At this point I foresee an objection.

Objection-There are many places where Narayana is called as Lord etc. Why
not interpret that as Praajna and not Turiya?

Reply-You can interpret that as Praajna. But also note that Narayana is
called as the Self, which is meaningless if Narayana cannot be said to be
Turiya.

Objection - Why not say Rudra as Turiya?

Reply - Then saying that Rudra derives his power from Vishnu is meaningless.

Best Regards
Kalyan