ADVAITA-L Digest - 4 Mar 2003 to 5 Mar 2003 (#2003-55)

hemang Chamakuzhi Subramanian hemangcs at REDIFFMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 6 00:00:28 CST 2003

All,

      Had actually posted a message long back question the very
facet upon which  a person's caste decided at his birth..or is the
varna decided on his Dina karma(his occupation).  By this
defenition most of the world...as they work for the others..and
are not involved in trades/devotion to God..are Sudras..its
improbable that everyone starts pouring lead into everyone else's
ears..anyway..so it would be preposterous to keep reminding
ourselves of arcane rules/laws that were bestowed..... This topic
has probably beaten all records..on the list by all means..

     Please enlighten me, if this defenition is wrong and any of
the scriptures elucidate that birth is  the only way a person's
Varna is decided(ie. his varna is fixed by his Father Or Mother Or
either Or not)....

     If the defenition of shudra, is a laborer or a worker or
someone..who works for others..then all people who work as
software engineers are more or less Sudras...(someone claimed that
since we sell our skill we are more or less the Vishyas...not
shudras..anyways..)

       So Swami chinmayananda, by that defenition of varna is a
Brahmin by Karma, as he has spend most of his life propogating the
hindu Dharma..by elucidating the scriptures to lesser mortals
veiled by their prognostic Karmas..

with due respect.
  -hemang Subramanian