[Advaita-l] Re: The current advaita-dvaita debate - Dogs and lions

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 22:16:42 CDT 2003

I write this is in a somewhat apologetic tone. The current debate can only
be a case of deja vu for
some of us who have been members for quite a while. There is nothing
drastically new being said
against advaita. Mostly, these are recycled arguments that have been
quenched by advaitins at one
time or the other.

Besides, I am very busy. I know it sounds like a lame excuse but it is a
fact. So I will remain
content, citing the glorious lion of advaita, Madhusudana Sarasvati:

iha kumatiratattve tattvavAdI parAkaH
pralapati yadAkANDe khaNDanAbhAsamuchchaiH |
prativachanamamushhmai tasya ko vaktu vidvAn.h
nahi rutamanurauti grAmasiMhasya siMhaH      ||

The intellectually weak, pitiable tattvavAdI (dvaitin) makes silly, faulty
arguments here for
something that is atattva (not Reality) and against (advaita) with no rhyme
or reason. How can
a scholar respond to this loud noise coming from such a person? A lion never
roars at a
barking dog! (The lion thinks a response is not necessary.)

Anand