[Advaita-l] An adhyAsa challenge

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Tue Jun 17 09:43:30 CDT 2003

namaste Sri Jay,

You wrote the following:

> It is only sattika-jeevas that will eventually have their
> 'end' or laya in ParamAtman.

> The tAmasika-jeevas will have their 'end' or laya in
> Andah-tamas. "MAm-aprApyaiva kaunteya tato yanty adhamAm
> gatim"  - 16.20

> The rajasika-jeevas will have their 'end or laya in
> samsAra itself  or in other words,  they are in permanent
>  birth/death circulation for ever.

I have a question: If it is the case that different jivas
are already destined for different final states, what is the
use in pursuing vedanta at all? The problem is, none of us
know if we are rajasika, tamasika or satvika jivas (or do
we?). What if I pursue dvaita vedanta and finally find out
that I am a tamasika jiva and hence bound for eternal
damnation? Isn't all my practice of vedanta a waste?

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam