[Advaita-l] adhyAsa - part V

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Tue Jun 3 07:41:55 CDT 2003

praNam Bhaskar prabhujI,

Thanks for your comments.

One need not be a vEdaantin to understand the  adhyArOpa of silver-conch,
crystal-red flower, snake-rope,  sky-sunlight etc.   Physicists have very
well explained why the atmosphere in the sky makes  only blue light
get diffracted.  I am still waiting for someone to articulate that physics
funda  :-)

The question arises, when vEdAntins take the same examples such as
crystal-red flower and  conclude,  "similarly Atma and anAtma are also
superimposed".
In the case of crystal-red flower,  it is the proximity and reflecting red
flower
that brings redness to the crystal.

We all know that examples can only be used to disprove theories, and
even a thousand examples will not  make a theory.   So, a theory has to
stand on its own,  an example may help understand that theory better.

Ex:  If I line up 1000 black cows and make a theory that "all cows are
black"
then  all you need is a single white cow to disprove that theory.