[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 29

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Sun Jun 1 09:49:45 CDT 2003

Dear Sankaran,

You have asked a set of good  questions.

> senses. On the other hand, Brahman is not an object of
> sense perception. It cannot be compared to mundane
> subjects, and neither can brahma-vidya be compared to
> mundane knowledge.

You are right.  That is why vEdAnta distinguishes the two
as vritti-jnAna and Atma-jnAna.

> So, if brahman is always known only partially, why do only
> some people get liberated? Is there a threshold of partial

All these questions have been answered in the phala-adhyAya of the
brahma-sootras.

Before we speculate on the "liberated" state,  let us understand
properly the "unliberated" state that we are in right now.
Each one of us, is carrying a "bucket"  so to speak which is full of
ajnAna, all bad and good deeds from our previous births, and may be
a tiny bit of  knowledge of God as well.
In this unliberated state,  it is pretty obvious that there are stalwarts
like Sri Madhusudana Saraswathi,  and then there are ordinary mortals
like me and you,  struggling  to understand them.   This tells us that
there is an innate huge capacity in those Acharyas that  me and you do not
have.
( I dont know about you,  but at least I know,  I do not have :-) )
This means that "bucket" sizes are also different.   Our Acharyas are an
ocean of knowledge, while we are not,  is just an indicator of this truth.

Upanishat says "puNya pApE vidhooya"  - Our "bucket" should be cleansed of
results of both 'good' and 'bad' deeds. When this "bucket" gets filled with
Brahma-jnAna
entirely,  that state is the Highest state that one can reach.   Because
your "bucket"
is full,  you can neither add to it, nor loose any of  it.  You will stay in
that
"jnAna-Ananda" state - which is your swaroopa - for ever.

SriKrishna  says  "yad gatvA na nivartantE tad dhAma paramam mama"  15.6
(That point-of-no-return which is the Highest that one can reach, that is
My abode).

SriKrishna also talks about the other end of this spectrum in the 16th
chapter as :
A-su-rIm  yO-ni-mA-pa-nnA
mU-DhA  ja-nma-ni   ja-nma-ni |
mA-ma-prA-pyai-va   kau-ntaE-ya
ta-tO  yA-ntya-dha-mAm  ga-tim ||16.20||

Some philosophies such as christianity do not believe in "eternal
damnation",
but SriKrishna clearly says that "tatO yAnti adhamAm gatim"  the final
destination for people described in 16.17, 16.18, 16.19 is  indeed "eternal
damnation"

So, whatever model of "mOksha"  that you have,
make sure it is consistent with  both 15.6 and 16.20

I hope I have answered most of your questions.