[Advaita-l] Sankara Bibiography Help

Min min at nwlink.com
Fri Jul 11 20:23:20 CDT 2003

As some of you may know, I am a beginning seeker in Advaita Vedanta,
particularly according to the teachings of Sankara. I come by way of
Vivekananda.
I have absolute zero Sanskrit knowledge, having spent most of my life as a
reporter/editor/publisher in non-fiction books in English.

In my beginning search, I was fortunate enough to purchase the following
books recently from the Vedanta bookstore in Seattle, of which the first two
are wonderful, the third okay.

Swami Prabhavananda & Christopher Isherwood, Shankara's Crest-Jewel of
Discrimination, 1947, 78, Vedanta Press, Hollywood
Govind Chandra Pande, Life and Thought of Sankaracarya, 1992, 94, 98,
Motilai Banarsidass Publishers, Delhi
Kuppuswami, Sri Sankara Bhagavatpadacarya, 1972, 91, S. Radhakrishnan,
Madras

>From the Pande book and from a website I have built up the following
incomplete Sankara bibliography. I am asking that Advaitin members please
comment, make suggestions and / or critique any of the titles in this list
if you know about them or read them.

Here is the list:

Sankara Bibliography from Pande
Don't know if the following are in English or Sanskrit
Alston, A Sankara Sourcebook,
Bhasyacharga, Age of Sankara, Adyar Library Series,
C.N. Krishnasvamilyer, Sankara -- His Life and Times, G.A. Natesan, Madras
Govind Chandra Pande, Foundations of Indian Culture,
Govind Chandra Pande, An Approach to Indian Culture and Civilization,
Govind Chandra Pande, The Role of Sankara, 1989, Jaipur
Govind Chandra Pande, Studies in the Origins of Buddhism,
H.H. Jagadguru Sri Candrasekharendra Sarasvati, Adi Sankara -- His Life and
Times,
Paul Hacker, Philology and Confrontation: Paul Hacker on Traditional and
Modern Vedanta, 1995, SUNY
Hajime Nakamura, History of Vedanta,
K.T. Telang, Sankaracarya, Philosopher and Mystic, 1911, Adyar
N. Ramesan, Sri Sankaracarya, 1959, Ponnur
N. Venkataraman, Sankaracarya the Great and His Successors in Kanchi, 1923,
Madras
N.K. Venkatesan, Sankara and His Kamakotipitha, 1915, Kumbhakonam,
S.K. Belvalkar, Lectures on Vedanta Philosophy,
S.S. Suryanaravana Sastri, Sankaracarya, G.A. Natesan, Madras
S.S. Suryanaravana Sastri, Life and Teachings of Sankaracarya,
T.S. Narayana Shastri, The Age of Sankara, 1916, 71, 80, Madras
T.S. Narayana Shastri, Sri Sankaracarya, 1980, Tiruchirapalli,

English bibliography from
http://wwwadvaita-vedanta.org/avhp/sankara-life.html [some repeats of above
list]
Govind Chandra Pande, Life and thought of Sankaracarya, Motilal Banarsidass,
Delhi, 1994.
A. Kuppuswami, Sri Bhagavatpada Sankaracarya, Chowkhamba Sanskrit Studies v.
89, Varanasi, 1972. (with Sanskrit quotations)
C. N. Krishnaswami Aiyar, Sri Sankaracharya: His Life and Times, G.A.
Natesan & Co., Madras, undated.
Sitanath Datta, Sankaracharya, his life and teachings with a translation of
Atmabodha, Society for the Resuscitation of Indian Literature, Calcutta,
1911.
Pundi Seshadri, Sri Sankaracharya, University of Travancore, Trivandrum,
1949. (with Sanskrit quotations)
T. M. P. Mahadevan, Sankaracharya, National Book Trust, New Delhi, 1968.
Mathuram Bhoothalingam, Had Sankara lived today, Affiliated East-West Press,
1981.
Prem Lata, Shankaracharya, Sumit Publications, Delhi, 1982.
Indusekhara S. Madugula, The Acarya, Sankara of Kaladi : A Story, Motilal
Banarsidass, Delhi, 1985.
D. B. Gangolli, The Essential Adi Shankara, Adhyatma Prakasha Karyalaya,
Bangalore, 1992.
T. S. Rukmani, Shankaracharya, Publications Division, Ministry of
Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India, New Delhi, 1994.