[Advaita-l] Bhakti, Bhagavata Purana & Sankara

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 18:23:45 CDT 2003

--- Nagarjuna Siddhartha
<nagarjunasiddhartha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Excuse me. May I know where in his bhashyas does
> Sankara claim that he is an incarnation of Siva? If
> he
> does not make any such claim (as Jaladhar rightly
> points out), how can we assume that he is an
> incarnation of Siva?

This list doesn't care about extrapolating all
"theories" based on Shankara's BhAshhyas alone.
Everyone in this list also accepts what the Shankara
MaThas teach us. The fact that Shankara is an
incarnation of Shiva is known from the biography of
Shankara written by Swami Vidyaranya. There, Shankara
is explicitly stated to be "The incarnation of Shambhu
who bears the crescent moon on his head."

-Kartik