[Advaita-l] Why Yoga is not a Pramana ??

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 10:17:55 CDT 2003

Taking into consideration the Acharya's Position in the 4th Chapter of Brahma Sutra Bhashya and elsewhere in the Brihadaranyaka also, i am of the humble opinion that what is said in the first para regarding the applicability of Sruthi Pramana and what the next para follows....are not necessarily identical.

Sruthi alone is the pramana that is what i understand from the Acharya.
"Sundaram, Vaidya (MED)" <Vaidya.Sundaram at med.ge.com> wrote:
Namaskaram.

> It seems that the coverse is true. Shruti Pramana is the sole means of
> knowing the Self. It is the 'smoking gun' for the qualified seeker.
There is
> no other way. Jnana gained by shruti pramana alone leads to Moksha.
Dhyana
> is a karma and therefore it is preliminary. Karma makes the sadhaka an
> adhikari and there its utility ends.

Well, you are right in the sense that the sruti is the only source of
knowledge about matters of existence after death of the body, or means
to liberation etc. Having said that, knowledge of tat tvam asi does not
by itself lead to liberation. So much so that, knowledge of tat tvam asi
before karma has "readied" the individual is useless. It can at best act
as a motivating factor, and at worst lull the individual into a false
sense of already there.
So, what I am saying is, sruti by itself does nothing to the
individual. It is by strict observance of karma, followed by, or
concurrent with, repeated meditation on sruti vakyas (the latter of
which I am calling dhyaana) which liberates the individual.
I guess we are both saying the same thing though in different
words/perspectives.
bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.
Need assistance? Contact: