Nature of Grace

Swaminarayan T tvswaminarayan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 4 14:56:48 CST 2003

 Rolando Santos <sivadancer at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Dear Rolando;

----------------------------
My question is about grace and is based on the following that I have learned
so far:

1) Brahman remains an unaffected witness

-------------------------------------

Response:

Most certainly, Brahman remains an unaffected witness.But, only when it is thought to be a witness! For, Brahman is indeed always "UNAFFECTED." and in its natural form is not even a "Witness" of any sort whatsoever.

2) Only Brahman chooses who to grace with jnana

Response:

not at all so!. In what way is Brahman concerned about this?

It is the Guru in a human form who will grace the desciple with "Brahma Gyaana".

Let us therefore , with right earnest, find and  approach the right Guru who can dispell our ignorance and  grace us with this Brahmagyaana.

3) any practices or karma cannot result in jnana

Response:

The right practice of karma as ordained by the Guru will most certainly lead to Jnana.

4) Brahman seems to only grace those who are doing some practice (maybe
there are a few "innocents" who are "struck by lightning" but the majority
or those graced are those who are doing some sort of meditation or
contemplation practice.)

Response:

Here, practice is nothing but trying to understand the truth about oneself.

The desciple goes to a competent Guru and prays,"Please , great master, help me to remember " Brahman" that is, " Myself".

It is with the grace of the Guru that the desciple realises his own truth which indeed is nothing but  his being himself "Brahman"

Therefore it seems that Brahman does not remain unaffected; Brahman is
affected by practice, choosing to grace those who do so practice. And
therefore it seems practices are needed to secure the grace of Brahman.

Response:

So, you can see that Brahman is really unaffeacted by practice, but nevertheless, is EFFECTED by practice!

Please help me to clarfiy..

May the great Acharya bless you.

Hari Om ! .

Swaminarayan