[Advaita-l] Contradictions between Shankara and his disciples

Aravind Mohanram psuaravind at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 18:58:46 CST 2003

"To the realized person, there is no one to teach." -- Ramana Maharshi

We are talking specifically about the *perception of a jIvanmukta*. The
question is whether or not the JM perceives diversity. The answer is an
emphatic "NO!". The GYAnI sees nothing but Brahman, where there is no
diversity, no communication, no thoughts. It is we, the ignorant, who
see the realized person BEHAVING AS THOUGH he were communicating to us
with words.

So the answer to your question is: Shankara does not perceive
diversity, but we, due to our ignorance, attribute the
body-mind-relationship to him.

So, in that case, how valid are the instructions of the acharya? aren't they also a product of our ignorance/mind, that we perceive/hear them only due to our ignorance, but in reality they don't have any value? Why should one take illusory instructions seriously?

In the Gita, verse 2.12, Krishna talks about the individuality of the Himself, Arjuna and the kings - this is a clear indication that Lord Krishna sees plurality and provides His timeless instructions because of the difference that is perceived between the teacher, Himself and the taught, Arjuna. Any comments?

Thanks,

Aravind.