[Advaita-l] Re:Shiva panchayatana puja. Questions ?,

V. Krishnamurthy profvk at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 08:44:12 CST 2003

Namaste, Stig-ji and others

I am copying below what I posted on the ambaa list yesterday.
My father taught me (in the fifties) in the following way and I am
following the same procedure even now. And I kn ow that many who I
know, do the Panchayatana puja do it this way.

The arrangement is;

I face East when I do the Puja, with the abhisheka samakriya in
front of me. In the pedestal where I have to do the abhisheka, the
devatas are arranged in this order.
South-East (Agni dik): Surya
South-West (Nirruti dik): Ganapati
North-west (Vayu-dik): ambikA
North-East (Ishana-dik): Vishnu
Centre:   Banalingam

I have not checked any book or pramana for this, because I had no
necessity to. Now and then a learned scholar and shastra-jna would
visit me and be present at my puja and nobody pointed out anything
wrong in the method.

I have also a Raja-rajeshwari vigraha which I worship (along with
abhisheka) and that vigraha takes also the centre-place along with
the Bana-lingam (in addition to the presence of the Svarnamukhi ston
e representing ambika sitting in the Vayu dik.
It is interesting to note that Stig-ji's references corroborate with this.

PraNAms to all seekers of truth.
profvk

Prof. V. Krishnamurthy
My website on Science and Spirituality is http://www.geocities.com/profvk/
You can  access my book on Gems from the Ocean of Hindu Thought Vision and Practice,  and my father R. Visvanatha Sastri's manuscripts from the site.
Also see the webpages on Paramacharya's Soundaryalahari :
http://www.geocities.com/profvk/gohitvip/DPDS.html