[Advaita-l] Re:Birth Place of Shankara

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 29 15:36:39 CDT 2003

>i have come to know that, Sri Swami Sachidanandendra Saraswathi of
>Holenarsipur has written a masterly analysis about the Great Acharya, - Sri
>Shankara Chartira itihasa......vichara (some thing like that) in Kannada.
>
>in that, interestingly he (as i was told) has said that from the original
>writings of Sri Acharya, we have no evidence to conclude that he was born
>in south India only.  In his work he mentions about pataliputra (Brahma
>Sutra Bhashya) and thus, mention about north india is definite.

Yes, we have no indication from Sankara's own works that he was a south
Indian. The bhAShya mentions places in north India, but this evidence again
does not say anything about his birthplace. On the other hand, sureSvara
clearly refers to the teachers from gauDa and drAviDa (evaM gauDair
drAviDair naH pUjyair ayam arthaH prabhAShitaH) in the naiShkarmyasiddhi. It
is obvious that gauDapAda of the mANDUkya kArikA-s is the gauDa teacher
referred to in the above verse, and it follows that SankarabhagavatpAda is
the drAviDa teacher. This is the best evidence we have from any original
advaita work, long before any of the Sankara-digvijaya accounts were
written.

Vidyasankar