[Advaita-l] Why karma phala-s are not instantaneous

Sundaram, Vaidya (MED) Vaidya.Sundaram at med.ge.com
Tue Aug 26 17:21:58 CDT 2003

Namaskaram.

 Among the many things we have to thank the phaladata (God) for is that
His mercy allows us time to repent and change on our own without need
for punishment. Summary or instantaneous judgment is too much like "an
eye for an eye". This leads most likely to a world full of
blind/mute/deaf/lame people ... is that the alternative? What is the
concept of God if that concept is without grace and mercy??

 The concept of prarabdha, sanchita, agama karma etc. is sufficient in
my opinion to explain this: prarabdha is karma can be seen as punishment
because judgment has been made and the punishment is being carried out
now. There is nothing you can do to stop it. Sanchita karma can be seen
as if judgement has been made but not carried out or enforced yet -
there is a little wiggle room to mitigate it, but not much. Agami karma
is where the judgement is yet to be made. We have room to atone on our
own and escape so to speak ...

 And that the "punishment"  is delayed does not mean it is never going
to happen! If your friend is not an atheist, then he surely knows that
it is going to come - definitely. That is fear enough to not do a bad
thing.

 And as discussed on this list before, swarga and naraka need not be
other "lokas" that are not this present life! How about a punishment
where the individual is to be "roasted in boiling hot oil" - (a
favourite theme of many old legends and movies) - well, a fly that is
zipping thru the air suddenly falls into boiling hot oil that you are
using to cook! That is naraka and right here and now.

just my 2 cents!
bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.