[Advaita-l] A Strategy for Discussion on the Soundaryalahari Digest

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Aug 22 04:57:44 CDT 2003

 Namaste.

> While I thank several of the members who have personally written
> to me encouraging words of appreciation, I have yet to reply to
> some who have raised a few legitimate questions.  Some of the
> questions raised are:
> 1.  Is Shankara the author of Soundaryalahari?

praNAm prabhujis
Hare Krishna

Since this topic has been raised under different thread, just I'd like to
share  with the group what I have already  personally communicated to Prof.
VK prabhuji.  Ofcourse, he has replied to my mails directly.

If we check one of the master pieces of shankara's gItAbhAshya (apart from
introduction of new concept of bhakti  which has last bench occupation in
other 2 major works (BS Bh. & Up. Bh.) there is an unanimous agreement
among scholars that it is genuine work of shankara) , it is quite evident
that shankara was no more a friend of tAntric sAdhanA-s.  Shankara clearly
says in BG Bh - 9-25 & 17-4 that pujAs offered to ganapati, devi are tAmasi
& therefore non-vedic ( bhutAni vinAyaka mAtrugaNAchaturbhaginyAdIni yAnti
bhutEjyaH etc.).

As most of the scholars believe that soundaryalahari is a tAntric work &
one can hardly find any references as regards to tantra sAdhana in major
works of shankara.  So is the case with praprancha sAra, lalita triShati
bhAshya which are ascribed shankara bhagavadpAda.

But, still doubting the authorship  is not conclusive, if any members can
help me in resolving these issues, I'd be very grateful to them.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar