[Advaita-l] Re: Re: Vivekachudamani vs Bhashyas

nanda chandran vpcnk at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:35:56 CDT 2003

Regarding writing styles, is it not possible that the style of a single
author can differ between a commentary on an existing text and an original
independent work?

Shankara when he comments on the Upanishads is naturally influenced by the
style and mood of the texts. If such a style is not different from the his
commentary on the Brahma Sutras, it could be that Baadaraayana who
systematized the Upanishads was himself influenced by the Upanishads in its
style. So it is possible that there's some level of likeness in styles
between such texts.

The Vivekachoodaamani in my opinion is more Yogic in its views and itself
might have been influenced by other earlier works that we are not clearly
aware of. Or it might be a totally independent work of Shankara whose
inspiration rests on his own genius.

So even that might account for the difference in writing styles.