Creation theories (was Re: What is the exact meaning/significance of this?)

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 21 16:36:40 CDT 2003

>>According to strict advaita-vedanta, creation never
>>happened, period. This is called "ajAti-vAda"
>>(doctrine of non-generation), and is the final Truth
>>realized by the GYAnI. Therefore, there is no
>>(un)manifestation whatsoever, since there exists but
>>the Self. This is as per the mANDUkya upanishhad and
>>GauDapAda's kArikA on the same.
>
>As far as I know the mANDUkya upanishad, it does not seem to be saying that
>creation is a dream though the kArikA speaks about it. But the actual

You quite misunderstand ajAti-vAda if you take the statement "creation
never happened" to mean "creation is a dream". A dream "happens," in the
mind of the dreamer.

Vidyasankar