Upadesha sahasri

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 20 20:22:32 CDT 2002

>Again, not quite. The chapter is called avagati-prakaraNa. avagati
>means "guessing, anticipating, conceiving." The teacher anticipates the
>doubts of the disciple and answers them; the disciple raises more doubts
>and the teacher replies and so on.
>
>At the end, the disciple arrives at a conclusion about the eternal nature
>of the kUTastha and about the nature of the waking and dreaming states.
>This is based on intellectual reasoning, subject to the operation of the
>buddhi. The teacher says that through this reasoning the disciple has now
>become free from the sorrows of the waking and dreaming states. It is not
>yet fully extolled as the final liberation.

As per the Ramakrishna Mission translation I have :

In the stanza 109 of the Upadesha Saahasri the student after having
clarified all his doubts gives a basic exposition of the fundamental tenets
of Advaita – the unreality of the non-self and the reality of the ever
existing self and declares the non-dual Self to be pure consciousness –
immutable and eternal. And finally concludes : “there’s nothing else except
myself and the aim of my life is fulfilled by your grace”.

The teacher responds in the stanza 110 : “It is exactly so. It is ignorance
due to which the transmigratory existence consisting of waking and dream is
experienced. It is knowledge which brings this ignorance to an end. You have
thus attained fearlessness. You will never again feel pain in waking or in
dream. You are liberated from the misery of this transmigratory experience”.

The final stanza of the prose section -111 – Disciple : “Yes, sir”.