Neti Yoga

Thu Sep 12 22:05:55 CDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> Then why does every Amnaaya matha trace its lineage (implying the lineage
> of the philosophy itself) to Bhagwan Narayana? You seem to be saying that
> Advaita is what Adi Shankara said it was when even he himself said he was
> was reasserting the message of the eternal Vedas.

*sigh* is this going to be another of these threads that goes around in
circles?  The Mathas do trace their parampara from Shri Narayana
_through_Shankaracharya_.  Who do you think founded those mathas in the
first place?

I repeat, there is no alternative Advaita lineage other than
Shankaracharyas.  There may have been in the past (e.g. Mandana Mishra)
but they are extinct now.  There were other other Advaita teachers prior
to Shankaracharya (e.g. Upavarsha, Dravidacharya, Sundara Pandya) but with
the exception of Gaudapadacharyas Karikas, their works are no longer
extent.  We know Advaita Vedanta through Shankaracharya.

> I am not going to do any word dissection.

Like Lewis Carrolls Humpty-dumpty you think words mean whatever you want
them to mean.  Thus it is pointless to talk to you and pointless for you
to try and learn anything.

I'll say this one last time.  Saying several approaches are valid doesn't
imply every approach is valid.  Saying several approaches are invalid
doesn't imply only one approach is valid.