ADVAITA-L Digest - 8 Sep 2002 to 9 Sep 2002 (#2002-228)

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 10 11:59:26 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

--- yogafarm <yogafarm at WEBTV.NET> wrote:

> 7.) Regarding "that" samadhi: Some people believe
> there are various
> stages of samadhi; others -- including myself --
> believe that there is
> only one samadhi.  It is the No-Mind state; it is
> Brahman; it is turiya,
> Atman, Pure Consciousness, satori, etc.  Any state
> where an "observer"
> remains is, by definition, dualistic -- the observer
> observing bliss,
> "oneness," etc., are (to my group of people) merely
> advanced states of
> dhyana / meditation.
>
> But perhaps we are both saying the same thing though
> in different words;
> for as knowledgeable as you are, I cannot imagine
> this most basic tenet
> of advaita is confusing to you.

I have seen samAdhi being split as sama-dhi, meaning
equilibrium of mind. The mind which remains steady in
all ups and downs, in happiness and sorrow or other
duals of life is the state of samAdhi. This would
necessarily mean it is not 'no-mind' state as defined
by you.

Possibly, you can take samAdhi to be a no-mind state,
because a mind in constant equilibrium has ceased to
exist for all practical purposes.  The observer sees
himself as different from mind and remains uneffected
by any ebarrations that may come by.

It is contended that 'No-MIND' state is not turIya.
Because mind disappears in swoon or fits or coma. What
is said is that beyond that no-mind state there is
that direct experience of 'being the illuminator' of
the mind and no-mind vrittis which state is turIya.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna