Rules of aachamanam

Ravi miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 29 15:46:32 CST 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:21:02 -0400, Aniruddhan <ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU>
wrote:

>namaste,
>
>My father advises me to wash my hand lightly after doing Achamanam, because
>we sip the water from our hand, and there is impurity associated with
saliva
>which might come in contact with our hand.
>
>Aniruddhan

There is a basis for this in shruti -- refer to taittiriiya aaraNyaka, 2
prashna, in section starting with brahma yajna yakShyamANaH. There is says
trirAchAmet dviH parimR^ijya, that is after aachamaNam you have to wipe
twice.  The book I have explains it as -- one should wipe the lips twice
from right to left with the base of the thumb finger and also wash the hand
after wiping each time (same saliva or echhil (tamil) reason, as the lips
does not have roma).

Besides, there are some more rules related to aachamanam given in
viadyanAtha diixitiiyam.