Translation Series - Gita Bhashya - Introduction 3/3

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 6 15:37:16 CDT 2002

>> sarvakarma-sa.nnyaasapuurvakaat.h aatmaGYaananiShThaaruupaat.h
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> dharmaat.h bhavati .

>Here, as 'sarvakarmasanyAsa' and 'AtmajnAnanishtA' are
>referred in the same case,  should it not mean that
>'the nihsrEyasa' has same relationship with
>'sarvakarmasanyAsa', just like 'AtmajAnanishta', and
>not exactly in the sense of 'preceding' ? These two
>words seem to qualify 'Dharma' equally.

The term is not just sarvakarmasa.nnyaasa, but sarvakarma-sa.nnyaasa-
puurvaka. Accordingly, sarvakarmasa.nnyaasa is said to be prior to
aatmaGYaananiShThaa.

>What more is there to derive as an 'effect' than being
>able to renounce all karma and abiding in the self ?
>So, should we not simply say, "That nihsrEyasa, is of
>the form/type of Dharma/swabhava, which is full of
>sarvakarmasanyAsa and is in the form of
>AtmajnAnanishta" ??

Talking of niHshreyasa as an "effect" is somewhat figurative here. Also,
the word dharma here is used to contrast pravR^itti and nivR^itti. It is
not used in the sense of attribute or nature. And as far as translation is
concerned, it is to be recognized that the verb used is bhavati.

>Does 'samxEpataH' mean 'ultimate' ? or 'concise or
>precise' ?

saMkShepa refers to briefness or conciseness, but can also indicate the
essence. In that sense, it would imply ultimate also, but ultimacy is not a
direct meaning of saMkShepa.

>(1)
>
>> "This dharma is all that
>> one needs, to know brahman." (MBh 14.16.12).
>
>(2)
>In the
>> same text, it is said,
>> "Neither actively pursuing the law, nor by being
>> lawless pursuing neither
>> good
>> nor evil" (MBh 14.19.7)
>
>Q: Are (1) and (2) not contradicing each other ? In
>the first place,  following 'dharma' is said to be
>'paryapta' and in second quota it says that by
>'follower of dharma or follower of adharma etc. ' is
>not sufficiently equipped to know 'Brahman'.
>
>Possibly should this mean that in quote (1) nihsrEyasa
>dharma is meant and in the second quote living as per
>smrithis with pravritti or against the directives of
>the smrithi is meant.

Yes, you have answered your own doubt. The dharma referred to in (1) is the
nivR^itti dharma. There is no "active pursuance" of this dharma, inasmuch
as it consists of renouncing sarva-karma and desisting from further karma.
On the other hand, the dharma referred to in (2) is pravR^itti dharma. It
is necessary to specify all the above, in order to remove the differentiate
between the renunciation of even good deeds (nivR^itti) and actively
pursuing evil deeds (adharma).

>Also, from the tone and sequence of the words 'dharmi,
>adharmi, and subhasubhi, should we not infer that
>'subhasubhi' should mean who does mixed subha and
>asubha i.e dharma + adharma (as per smriti directives.

Yes, that is a possible interpretation of the term shubhaashubhii.

>(In contrast to  'pursuing neither good nor evil');
>all being not in the domain of 'nihsreyasa' (but in
>pravritti domain) which is characterised by sarvakarma
>sanyAsa' and 'AtmajAnanishta' and not of any 'dharmic
>or adharmic activity' (I do not know the context in
>the Mahabharata)
>

>[2]; "He who is firmly
>> grounded, silent, thinking no
>> thoughts (MBh 14.19.9);
>
>Q: what do 'tUshnEm' 'leenaH' mean separately in the
>above sentence ?

tUShNI refers to being silent, while liina means firmly grounded.

Questions are always welcome, and indeed, you have reminded me that the
soon.

Best,
Vidyasankar