Ekadashi

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 28 00:14:08 CST 2002

Hari Om !!

The information you provided is useful. Can you address the issue of timing.

For example, based on SFO timing, the Livermore temple calendar says 29 th
Nov Dashami 14:22 and 30 th Nov Ekadasi 11:36 (I understand these are the
Tithi ending timings)

So, when does this Vrata start and when does it end ? Do we have to have
sunrise for the Tithi duration or not ? As the Ekadasi ends by 11:36, is it
correct to observe the Vrata for a duration stretching beyond that ? Or
should we have to observe the Vrata for the exact Tithi timings of
Ekadasi ? I also remember from Bhagavatam, the description of observing the
Ekadasi Vratam covering Dwadasi.

Also, I was under the impression that it is a 24 hour fast i.e from dawn to
dawn. In the present example I would have observed fast from the morning of
30 th till early morning of 1 st Dec. I normally take water on these days.
But, what is approved ? Is milk and fruits acceptable for the efficacy and
prescribed observance of the vrata ?

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna