Fake Sankaracharya

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Nov 20 09:03:40 CST 2002

namaste,

>There is a controversy in Puri too with another
>contender for the post of Sankaracharya. I don't
>really know whether it is this same Swami, being
>referred to in this list, who is creating the
>controversy here as well. He was arrested in Puri for
>creating religious tensions but was later released on
>the condition that he would never visit Puri again.
>The local people of Orissa were not fooled but
>certainly those not associated with the Sankaracharya
>Mutt will be gullible victims.

This is the same Swami Adhokshajananda. He has been disbarred from going
within a certain distance of the Puri temple and peetham and also from using
the title Shankaracharya (by the Orissa state high court). But still
occasionally the press refers to him as the Puri Shankaracharya. If I
remember right, Swami Nischalananda Saraswati is the true Shankaracharya of
the Puri math. He is also recognised by the other Shankaracharyas. I think
Swami Nischalananda Saraswati has made some controversial statements about
the caste system etc and is not liked by the secular parties. Swami
Adhokshajananda is supported by the non-hindu religious organisations.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam