New member introduction: V. Krishnamurthy

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 17 16:03:22 CST 2002

Hari Om !!

--- ravi chandrasekhara <vadhula at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I visited the website of Shri Krishnamurthy and some
> questions about varna-ashrama.  He is referring to
> Bhagawad Geeta 18-42:
>
>  The words 'born of their own nature' (svabhaavajam)
> are important. These qualities must be inherent in
> him; then only he is a braahmana. If they are not
> his
> natural qualities, then he is not a braahmana even
> though a parent of his may be a braahmana. At the
> dawn
> of the twenty-first century it is ridiculous to
> interpret the verse in any other way. The verse
> should
> be taken as a definition of a braahmana thus: those
> who have these qualities as their own svabhaava (=
> one's own nature) are braahmanas. . A Mahatma
> Gandhi,
> a Mother Teresa, a Srinivasa Ramanujan, a Martin
> Luther King Jr., are the braahmanas. Does this mean
> that above-mentioned individuals based on their
> "Braahmana-like" qualities be entitiled to
> upanayana/recitation of Gayatri Mantra/intermarriage
> with Braahmans by birth/officiate in yagnas and
> vaisyas meet such qualities, should be temple
> purohits
> ? (Gandhji was a Gujarati Modh Vaisya by birth and
> entitled to upanayana and Ramanujan was a Braahmana
> by
> birth)

People are free to interpret the way they like 'in the 21
st century'. Then why perform the 'yajan' of
pre-modern world ? and then take the burden of finding
whether the 'modern' Brahmana should officiate the
'old' yajna ? Let the modern Brahmana's perform
'modern' Yaj~na as accepted by the 21 st century
society and leave the old Yaj~na to old definition Brahmana.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna